Assembly Automation Case Studies: Automotive hinge assembly and test system
Explore the Assembly Automation Section
Automatic assembly machines and automation system solutions provide the best method for reducing labour costs, increasing output and eliminating manual handling concerns.
Explore this section to find out more about the how TQC can help you with your factory assembly automation processes
- Assembly Automation
- Pallet Transfer Systems
- Rotary Systems
- Assembly Benches
- Robotics and Handling
- Checking Jigs & Assembly Fixtures
- Case Studies
- Co-operating Robots
- Pallet Assembly System for Automotive Glovebox Latch
- Pallet Assembly System for Metal Pressed Parts
- Laser Marking & Verification System
- Lead Pot Robotic Handling System
- Automotive Plug Feed & Check System
- Poka Yoke Assembly Bench for Automotive Latch
- Bearing Automatic Heat, Press & Assembly System
- Hot Insert, Cold Insert & Seal Assembly/Check System
- Robotic Weld & Fabrication System
- SCARA Robot cell for Automatic Assembly of a Small Electrical Handset
- Semi-Automatic Assembly System for Automotive Radiators
- Cylinder Head Cover Clean, Assemble and Test Suite
- Automotive Hinge Assembly & Test System
Client: Southco Manufacturing
Part: Automotive Hinge
Machine supplied: Automotive hinge assembly and test system
Overview: This system was designed and manufactured in order to give the customer the ability to assemble an automotive hinge within their production environment. TQC developed this system alongside the client to allow them to assembly parts into subassemblies and then into a complete hinge unit. Finally, the machine does a full function test on the compled part.
- Manual assembly area
- Automated pin insertion
- Automated ball & spring parts feeding
- Automatic function test
- Assembly bench with modular construction including light and fan for operator comfort
TQC has produced a free standing assembly & test bench for the production of automotive hinges. The hinge is designed to lock at a defined angle, to achieve this a set of detent balls and springs are used within the assembly.
The bench layout provides space for hand assembly as required of the hinge and for easier operation of the required assembly processes in sequence. Storage bins for all the necessary components are mounted at the rear of the bench. (see sequence of operation below)
The final test fixture performs a functional test whereby the hinge is opened and closed, with loads monitored to ensure it operates in a satisfactory manner.
Sequence of operation
1. Hinge Pin insertion to depth, fixture includes poka yoke features for checking of pin type and orientation.
2. Grease application into 3 orifices
To find out more about how we can help you with your automated or semi-automated assembly systems:
We build all machines in-house, applying our 25+ years experience in specialised test and automated handling machines to the engineering projects we undertake. We offer customer support, backup and service call-out for all projects, whatever the size.
Get in touch with us to discuss your requirements and we will be happy to offer our professional advice and visit you at your site.