Assembly Automation Case Studies: Automated laser marking and verification system for automotive parts
Explore the Assembly Automation Section
Automatic assembly machines and automation system solutions provide the best method for reducing labour costs, increasing output and eliminating manual handling concerns.
Explore this section to find out more about the how TQC can help you with your factory assembly automation processes
- Assembly Automation
- Pallet Transfer Systems
- Rotary Systems
- Assembly Benches
- Robotics and Handling
- Checking Jigs & Assembly Fixtures
- Case Studies
- Casting Multi-Position Screwdriving & Marking System
- Co-operating Robots
- Pallet Assembly System for Automotive Glovebox Latch
- Pallet Assembly System for Metal Pressed Parts
- Laser Marking & Verification System
- Lead Pot Robotic Handling System
- Automotive Plug Feed & Check System
- Poka Yoke Assembly Bench for Automotive Latch
- Bearing Automatic Heat, Press & Assembly System
- Hot Insert, Cold Insert & Seal Assembly/Check System
- Robotic Handling & Leak Test Cell
- Robotic Weld & Fabrication System
- SCARA Robot cell for Automatic Assembly of a Small Electrical Handset
- Semi-Automatic Assembly System for Automotive Radiators
- Cylinder Head Cover Clean, Assemble and Test Suite
- Automotive Hinge Assembly & Test System
Client: Global Heavy Automotive Parts Supplier
Part: Heavy Automotive Circular Part
Machine supplied: Laser marking and verification system
Overview: This automated laser marking and assembly system was designed and manufactured in order to give the customer the ability to laser mark information onto their products within their production environment. TQC developed this system alongside the client to allow them to meet their customers requirements of accurate, readible data being marked onto the product.
Download details of this system as a PDF
- Manual part load and unload
- 2-hand start for operator safety
- Automatic laser marking and vision verification
- 2-position indexing table for simultaneous load/unload and laser mark/verification
- Interchangeable tooling to accomodate different part variants
- Laser marking of alphanumeric and 2D Barcode Datamatrix information
- Component rotary axis with encoder feedback
- Marking around the circumference of the part including the ability to mark varying diameters
- Line scan vision verification system (including Optical Character Recognition (OCR))
- Integrated extraction system
- PC control Operator screen, keyboard and mouse
- Full laser standard guarding including removable panels for access and a safety viewing window
- Mounted on wheels to allow easy integration into machine cells, pallet transfer systems and production lines as required
TQC have designed a solution for the automatic Laser Marking and Verification of parts. Marking and verification is a common requirement with many industries to ensure traceability, this specific example handled circular automotive parts, laser marking part number and technical information including a 2D barcode matrix (also known as a Datamatrix or DMX code) onto external circumferential faces.
A laser marking system produced for an Automotive Industry client
A benefit of this solution is that it has the ability to adjust the focal length of the laser marker automatically through the laser marking process. Parts are handled via 2 stations which allow the simultaneous operations of loading/unloading operations to be carried out during the automatic laser marking / verification process.
The location tooling aligns and datums the part and a mechanism engages with the tooling at the marking station to accurately lift and rotate the part to allow the laser marking. The marking is carried out in segments with the system interfacing the rotary position of the part with the laser output. The vision verification is carried out at an offset position after the laser marking and uses encoder information of the rotary position interfaced with a line scan camera to form a picture of the laser marked information. This picture is then verified by the vision software.
This laser marking system including laser marking of text, graphics and a "Grade A" 2D barcode with full verification of the marking.
Laser Marking System Options
- Single laser marking station
- 2-position indexing table for higher throughput
- Vision inspection, measurement and verification
- Custom tooling for multiple part variants
- Automated X,Y,Z and Rotary axis of travel
- Custom software solutions
- Automatic part handling for load / unload
- Robotic handling of part for marking of complex parts
- Dust / Fume extraction
To find out more about how we can help you with your laser marking requirements:
We build all machines in-house, applying our 25+ years experience in specialised test and automated handling machines to the engineering projects we undertake. We offer customer support, backup and service call-out for all projects, whatever the size.
Get in touch with us to discuss your requirements and we will be happy to offer our professional advice and visit you at your site.