Leak Testing Case Studies: Vauxhall V6 Inlet Manifold Leak Test Facility
Explore the Leak Testing Section
Leak Testing is used to ensure quality, tested and proven parts are supplied into the market. The use of leak testing equipment eliminates failures in the field.
Explore this section to find out more about the how TQC can help you with your leak testing requirements
- Air Decay
- Other Test Methods
- Leak Testing Services
- Standard Equipment
- Case Studies
- Automotive Brake Leak and Flow Testing
- Automotive Bedplate Leak Test Machine
- Battery Tray Leak Test Machine
- Chilled Beam Leak Test
- Flexible Leak Test Facility
- Fuel Tank Leak Testing
- Helium Leak Test Bench
- Helium Leak Testing of Automotive Fuel Pipes
- High Pressure Audit Leak Testing System with Datalogging
- High Speed Leak Testing of Pipe Fittings using Air and Helium
- High Speed Leak Testing of Plastic Vial for the Medical Industry
- Leak Test Facility for Water Valves
- Casting Leak Testing of Engine Blocks
- Medical Filter Leak Test Machine
- Medical Showerhead Leak Test Machine
- Plastic Fuel Rail Leak and Burst Test Machine
- Plastic Sump Pipe Leak Test and Assembly
- Small Medical Device Leak Test Machine
- Twin Station Leak Test Machine for Oils Sumps
- V6 Cylinder Head Leak Test Machine
- V6 Engine Leak Test Machine
- V8 Cylinder Head Leak Test Machine
- V8 Engine Block Leak Test Machine
- Valve Block Leak Test Machine
- Vauxhall Leak Test Machine
- Weapon Leak Test Machine
Client: Tier 1 Automotive Engine Manufacturer
Part: V6 Engine Inlet Manifold
Machine supplied: Fully automatic combined leak test, pressure test and function test system
Overview: This system was designed and manufactured in order to give the customer the ability to 100% leak, pressure and function test V6 inlet manifolds within their production environment. TQC developed this system alongside the client to allow them to carry out a number of tests on their inlet manifolds.
Download details of this system as a PDF
The manifold leak test station consists of a test unit located in the V6 engine assembly area, and is a self contained, free standing unit consisting of an aluminium frame on which is mounted a loading fixture, an operator control closure, an electrical closure, a pneumatic air compressor and a hydraulic power pack.
The test component is manually loaded to a retractable drawer in the test machine, at which time an operator is required to connect the wiring harness to the connector provided and also connect the fuel rail connectors. At this point the drawer of the test machine is closed and the sealing begins.
The leak test instrument controls the complete leak test cycle, including fill, stabilisation and measurement, basic operating principle is that of measuring pressure decay in the test volume as compared with the pressure in a reference volume, both having stabilised to the same pressure before starting the measurement.
The facility is designed to carry out four automatic air decay tests on a manually loaded assembly. The main features and test performed are -
- Air inlet branches
- Fuel rail assembly
- 2 pressure / leak tests
- Throttle function test
- The opening value of the regulator fitted
- Resistance test checking each type of injector
- Pass label printing
- Failed part label printing
- Data logging / recording
Test pressures are controlled by an E-P regulator and are set to nominally 1.5 bar for the manifold, 4.0 bar for the fuel rail and 3.4 bar for the regulator.
Test parameters (time, alarm limits, etc) are programmable via the key pad on each instrument.
Results are indicated in terms of leakage rates (converted to cu.mm/sec) on each instrument when a positive leakage is measured.
This machine was one of a suite of 3 machines supplied to satisfy 3 engine variants.
To find out more about how we can help you with your leak testing requirements:
We build all machines in-house, applying our 25+ years experience in specialised test and automated handling machines experience to the engineering projects we undertake. We offer customer support, backup and service call-out for all projects, whatever the size.
Get in touch with us to discuss your requirements and we will be happy to offer our professional advice and visit you at your site.